Home > Ministries > Native Ministries >
.
Pine Ridge (Payabya) Mission
.
  Pictured is Walter Gatewood in 1969.

 
  In the 1920s Brother and Sister E. L. Marley (parents of E. L. Marley, formerly Northern Union Conference President) began work for the Sioux Indians near Kyle and Porcupine, SD, when they were employed as government school teachers. In 1940, the Marleys helped establish a new village, a government school and a Seventh-day Adventist church at Red Shirt Table near the Cheyenne River. A church building was erected on a site leased to the conference by the government. After the Marleys moved away in 1941 the church was cared for by the Rapid City district pastor. In 1965, Elder and Mrs. Marvin Walters came to Red Shirt Table from working amoung the Indians of the American Southwest. The conference purchased a ten-acre plot eight miles east of the new Indian Hospital at Pine Ridge, SD on Highway 18. Buildings were moved and remodeled there and school began in September of 1968 with Larry Gatewood as teacher of 10 pupils. The enrollment continued to climb until the school year 1978 - 79 showed 42 students enrolled in eight grades. Wilbur and Janice Mauk served at the mission from 1985 - 1995 continuing the school program for ten years but were forced to retire due to medical issues. Afterward the mission was rented to other Christian non-profits and suffered significant deterioriaztion. Bill and Marilyn Glassford were hired in 2013 to help restore the mission and a school was again started in 2015.